To ride a motorbike up to 125CC and 11kw (15BHP) - A1 class:

You must hold a UK driving licence with provisional motorcycle entitlement.
This has two parts:
- Photo card
- Paper counterpart (unless you have a old style paper licence).

(If you hold an EU licence you must apply for a UK driver number).

After successfully completing a Compulsory Basic Training course (CBT), you can ride this class of motorbike with L plates until your CBT expires (2 years)

After successfully completing the motorcycle theory test, as long as your CBT certificate is still valid, you can take the two part practical test on a bike between 120cc and 125cc and not exceeding 11kW (15BHP)

After this you can ride any bike without L plates up to 125cc, and carry a pillion, providing the bike is under 11kw (15 BHP).